An experiment in automating typeface creation using Python.
Rather than drawing the letter shapes by hand with a pencil or a computer mouse, I’ve used a Drawbot plugin for
Robofont. By using Python code, I’ve created a filter that added shapes, morphed or otherwise destroyed existing
typefaces. Doing that in Robofont meant I could export .otf files, and have a working typeface.
Secession was one of the most interesting results I’ve got. Taking one of my favourite sans-serif, I’ve added
extra weight to the letters, which grew on top of the original like a digital fungus.
Despite using Python code & a clean sans-serif, the resulting typeface reminded me of ink spills, usually seen
in old prints.
Python-based typeface filter
Original typeface by Radim Pesko.
Many thanks to Just van Rossum for guidance & code support.